Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189
In Australia, you can live and work permanently without limits on where you work or for whom with a category 189 skilled independent visa. It’s meant to make moving to Australia simpler for people with in-demand skills.
- Find a profession using the MLTSSL.
- Apply to a skills evaluation and get a good report so that you can work in a specialized field.
- Take an English proficiency exam if you must.
- Apply through SkillSelect by submitting an EOI.
- Obtain a call for applications.
- Apply within 60 days.
Visa eligibility criteria
Primary requirements for a subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa include:
- A good occupational skills evaluation
- Having an English proficiency of 6 or above on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or its equivalent
- Individuals between the ages of 18 45. You can’t be 45 years old when you get the invite.
- Acceptable levels of health and morality.
- To get at least 65 out of 100 on the General Skilled Migration point test.
The points test
To determine who gets to move to Australia through the General Skilled Migration program, each applicant is given a score out of 100. To qualify, candidates need 65 points. However, those with higher scores are invited more frequently. To find out how many points you currently have, go here.
Each occupation has a maximum annual invitation restriction, but only a tiny fraction of careers will ever hit that level. To receive an invitation to a profession that is expected to achieve its occupation ceiling, you may need a score of more than 60.
Common problems for applicants
- Make sure you select the appropriate occupation when making a nomination. Since the visa approval or denial hinges on the nominated occupation, it cannot be changed after the application has been submitted.
- If you have not met the English language requirement within the last three years, you should take an English proficiency exam as soon as feasible after applying for a General Skilled Migration visa.
- Know when your existing visa expires and under what circumstances you can reapply from within Australia. If you let your visa expire without applying for a new one, you could face severe penalties the next day.
Skilled independent visa applicant FAQ
Applications from both inside and outside Australia will be accepted.
The visa can be obtained either before entering Australia or after entering Australia.
People under the age of 23 and their wives or common-law partners. Your adult children must rely on you for financial support.
The mandatory health examination is not deferrable for this visa.
This visa is valid indefinitely and has a five-year validity period for travel. In other words, you can stay in Australia indefinitely, but if you leave for more than five years and then wish to return, you’ll need to apply for a resident return visa.
|Length of stay:
From AUD 4,115