051 6121705

Meet with an Experienced Migration Agent Today

Student Visa

Student Visa Subclass : 500

International students from all around the world who wish to study in Australia can apply for a student visa (subclass 500). With this visa, you can study full-time at an approved school in Australia. Subclass 500 student visa holders are permitted to remain in Australia for as long as their studies take them or for a maximum of five years (whichever is earlier). If a parent or legal guardian of a student holding a Subclass 500 Visa meets the requirements, they can apply for a Student Guardian Subclass 590 Visa and move in with the student.

Here's the lowdown on what kind of travel you can do in Australia with a subclass 500 visa.

With a Subclass 500 Student Visa, you can enroll in an Australian educational institution full-time to do a course listed on the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) database. Additionally, your qualified relatives are welcome to join you in Australia. Students in Australia on a valid visa can work up to 40 hours per week during the semester and unlimited hours during approved holidays. You would be free to work while completing your master’s or doctorate in research.

To qualify for a student visa (subclass 500).

  • Proof of enrollment from an Australian school on the CRICOS database is required.
  • If you are under 18, you have established appropriate arrangements for your stay in Australia.
  • This visa requires that the candidate be at least six years old.
  • You must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which will pay for any medical care you may require throughout your time in Australia.
  • You’ll also need to pass the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) test if you want to study in Australia.
  • Any acceptable result on an internationally recognized English language exam (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.) will suffice to demonstrate that you have the necessary linguistic skills to succeed in this program; however, specific test requirements will vary by country of origin.
  • To study in Australia, you’ll need to prove that you have enough money to meet all the associated expenditures (save for those with specific nationalities).
  • You need to get checked out by a doctor to ensure you’re healthy enough to match the standards (if applicable).


Student visa applications with a letter of offer are only processed if the applicant is physically present in Australia; otherwise, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is required before a visa may be issued.

A visa applicant is exempt from providing proof of an English test score if one of the following conditions is met:

  • If the candidate is participating in an approved secondary exchange program, post-graduate research program, English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), or is supported by the Department of State or the Department of Defense. They qualify for a full academic year of study.
  • A candidate has spent at least five years in school in Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland.
  • If the applicant is a citizen of and possesses a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.

The applicant for a visa must offer answers to inquiries about their character to be considered for visa issuance. DOHA may seek further clarification from the applicant.

It is important to note that applicants in the regular and streamlined categories have different document requirements for English and Financial Capacity.

Student visa applicants must show that they have sufficient welfare provisions for the duration of their student visa or until they become 18 years old, whichever comes first. They can do so by showing that they will be accompanied by a parent or legal custodian, an appropriate relative, or that their educational institution is okay with the arrangements made for their housing, assistance, and well-being.

If you want to study in Australia on a student visa, you’ll need to sign up for a program recognized by the Commonwealth Registry of International Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

A student visa will not be issued unless the applicant plans to enroll in a program in the CRICOS register.

The school will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment after you have paid your tuition and have registered for your course (CoE). The student visa application process cannot begin until you obtain this Certificate of Eligibility.

Visa Details

Visa Subclass:
Length of stay:
Up to five years
From AUD 630
Contact Us