Temporary Graduate Visa – Subclass 485
After finishing your studies in Australia, you may be able to apply for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa in order to stay for an additional 12 months in order to get work experience. Depending on your qualifications, this visa could grant you four years in Australia, or five years if you hold a passport from Hong Kong. With this visa, you can visit Australia and stay there for up to three months, during which time you can work, attend school, or study. There are two primary categories for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa:
Graduate Work stream—for qualified overseas graduates whose education and work experience align with an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
Post-Study Work stream— Foreign nationals who have earned a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an approved Australian higher education institution are welcome to apply for the Post-Study Work stream.
Second– the Post-Study Work Stream is reserved for first-time Temporary Graduate visa-holders who have completed their studies and are ready to enter the workforce. This refers to a visa holder who has earned a degree from a school in a particular part of Australia.
What sort of work can I do on this visa?
The subclass 485 visa has no limitations on your employment scope or hours worked.
Do I need to locate a sponsoring employer in order to apply for this visa?
This visa does not necessitate sponsorship from an employer in order to be issued. If you plan to use this visa to work in Australia, you must make your own employment arrangements.
What are the visa requirements?
When applying for this visa, you’ll need to make sure you have the following.
- Currently occupy the position of being in Australia
- Have an age below 50
- Be in possession of a valid visa
- possess or have possessed a valid student visa within the preceding six months
- Prove their English proficiency.
- Scheduled or finished a health checkup
- Hold valid medical coverage. The Australian government requires this throughout the term of your visa application and your time in the country.
- Request a National Police Check from the Australian Federal Police.
You must also meet any additional Graduate Work Stream visa requirements that may be in effect at the time of your application.
- Use the appropriate Skilled Occupation List to make a recommendation for a profession.
- Have submitted an application for a competency evaluation in the field you’ve specified, provided that it appears on the appropriate list.
- Must have completed a course of study in Australia within the past six months. To count toward the Australian education requirement, you’ll need to get a degree, diploma, or trade certification that is directly applicable to your desired profession in Australia.
When applying for this visa, you must also meet the following conditions under the Post-study Work Stream:
- You must: Have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree program at an approved school within the last six months;
- Have applied for and been granted your first Student Visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011; (have recently completed a degree in a CRICOS- registered course).
In what forms should I send in my college applications?
- Identity documents
- English requirements
- Study documents
- Skill assessment documents (for graduate stream)
- Australian values statement
- Health insurance documents
- Character documents
- No debts to the Australian government
- No previous cancellations or refusals.
- Partner and Dependent documents if any.
How long does this visa let me stay in australia?
|Graduate Work Stream
|Post-Study Work Stream
Bachelor Degree with Honours
Masters by Coursework Degree
|Master by Research Degree
|Length of stay:
Graduate Work stream – 18 months & Post-Study Work stream – 2-4 years
From AUD 1,650